Monday, February 22, 2010

Memories

My baby smells like my Grandmother. Not constantly, but every once in a while I get a whiff of Grandma's Ivory soap that she always used. I've never bought Ivory soap or any other Ivory products, and all of the soaps and detergents I use on B are unscented. I first noticed it last night as I was giving her her last bottle before putting her to bed for the evening, and it brought me to tears. Just a few minutes ago when I put her down in her exersaucer so I could check my email and have a much-needed cup of coffee, I smelled it again. At this moment she's talking to someone or something up near the ceiling, occasionally reaching for it as it seems to move around, and although she's about 5 feet away from me, I can smell Ivory.

Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe I'm just missing her and my dad terribly and I'm grasping at straws here. She's been gone for a little over 9 years now. I really hope B has the same wonderful relationship with my mom as I had with my Grandmother, and that she has her in her life for even longer than I did.

1 comment:

B. said...

Awww... that's beautiful, and I hope you keep that memory somewhere so you can share it with B when she's old enough to hear stories about the relatives who were "gone" before her arrival. We're working on ways to introduce Ishkabibble to C's mom, who passed away a year before we conceived.